Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Instead of having the same old hamburgers, try this great Italian burger loaded with fresh herbs, & garlic. What really gives it that great flavor is the crispy Salami and Mozzarella - fabulous, Mangia!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon oregano (Fresh greek or italian -minced)
- 2 teaspoons italian basil (fresh minced)
- 1 -2 minced garlic clove (depending on your taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (may want to use less if you are sensitive to heat spices)
- 2 tablespoons romano cheese (Freshly grated, pecorino romano or any paremesan type cheese will do)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices hard salami
- 1 cup shredded light mozzarella cheese
- Italian bread (good crusty type or Ciabatta)
- olive oil (preferrably E.V.O.O., Extra Virgin)
- prepared marinara sauce
- Combine the ground turkey and the first 9 ingredients well - then, divide evenly and shape into burger patties, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil, or - place a silpat on a cookie sheet & preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the salami slices evenly (but not touching) on the covered cookie sheet. Bake salami in the 325 degree oven for 15 minutes - then, transfer salami slices to a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the excess oils.
- Grill burgers either on a hot outdoor grill, or cast iron stove top grill - approximately 5 minutes per side for medium rare - longer for well done (whatever your preference may be). Slice the Italian bread or Ciabatta into even slices - enough for 2 slices per patty & brush or use your 'misto' sprayer on one side with E.V.O.O. (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)& grill (oil side down) to get the grill prints on the bread. Once Burgers are cooked, remove to a platter where they can rest for approximately 5 minutes. Remove grilled Bread and place 1/4 cup of the shredded light Mozzarella cheese, then the Burger, then the Salami (2 slices per burger). You can then serve the burgers with either a very good prepared Marinara Pasta Sauce or your favorite condiment.
Loved these burgers. I would be careful with the salami, I checked at 13 min. and they were over done. Maybe 10 min. next time. Great flavor in the burger and very easy to do. Loved them with Ranch Picnic Pasta Salad.
My salami ended up a little too crispy as I did not watch carefully while baking. The cheese and marinara sauce add great flavor.
These were delicious! Wonderful & different - Thanks for the recipe