Prep 40 mins
Cook 8 mins
1991 second prize winner, Build a Better Burger Contest; Caryl Welsh, Clarksville, Maryland.
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small mango, chopped
- 6 pitted dried plums, chopped (prunes)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 fresh jalapeno chile, diced
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2⁄3 cup small pimento stuffed olive, chopped
- 15 pitted dried plums, chopped (prunes)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup zinfandel
- 6 seeded rolls, split
- To make the salsa: combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl; mix well; cover and set aside to let flavors blend.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to med-high.
- To make the patties: combine the sausage, turkey, olives, dried plums, basil, parsley, and Zinfandel in a large mixing bowl.
- Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 portions; form each portion into a patty to fit the rolls.
- When the grill is ready, brush grill rack with vegetable oil; place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, 4 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, around the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- To assemble: place a patty on each roll bottom; top with a spoonful of salsa; add roll tops and serve.