Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Made with lean pork and turkey.
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork (boneless loin is best)
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Shape into 12 patties.
- Spray skillet with non-stick spray.
- Fry over medium heat, covered to reserve moisture, about 3-5 minutes per side.
I made these for hubby and I. They are quite different from the breakfast sausage we normally would have (pre-made). It was fun making my own for a change. I like the red pepper flakes in them. Its a nice burst of flavor. I thought they were slightly on the dry side (probably due to using half ground turkey, but that's why they are low fat). It could possibly be that I made them too thin. Either way, we liked them. Served with eggs and toast. Will probabaly make these again, but maybe using all ground pork. I will post a picture soon. Thanks for posting your recipe. (Made for wk #1 win in Football Pool 2013)
Nice flavor. Spicy, but not too spicy for the kids (only 1 out of 3 didn't like it). I used all ground turkey and a little olive oil for the pan and they turned out moist. Very quick and easy. I cooked 3 minutes on each side.
For this being a lowfat recipe it has a nice flavor. I love fennel so I added just a bit more than 1/2 teaspoon and also added some lemon pepper. The red pepper flakes added a bit of zip and we enjoyed these patties for breakfast. Thank you mikekey!