Recipe by Miss Annie
Keep this brunch dish recipe in mind when you have guests and you need a hearty breakfast. I serve this with fruit cup and miniature muffins. I have made this and reheated in the morning with success.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese or 2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from skillet; drain on paper towels.
- In same skillet, cook onion and bell pepper in oil, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook until vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cooked sausage.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- To make topping: In medium bowl, whisk together flour, milk, melted butter, beaten eggs and Parmesan cheese until smooth.
- Pour over filling in baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Makes 8 to 10 servings.