Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Serve with focaccia.
- 1 cup diced pancetta
- vegetable oil, if needed
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 10 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°; in a skillet over medium heat, cook pancetta until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove to a plate, leaving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan (add oil if necessary).
- To pan, add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic; stir/saute 6-7 minutes, until tender; return pancetta to skillet.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, flour, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper together.
- Add pancetta/vegetable mixture to eggs; fold in mozzarella.
- Pour mixture into a lightly oiled 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake, about 40 minutes, until set; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Tried this recipe for brunch this morning. It was excellent, moist, tasty with balanced spices. I did make two very minor modifications: added diced (par boiled) potatoes and a little fennel. Will become a go-to recipe.