A basic lightly breaded seasoned and sautéed chicken breast that can be served as is with rice and a vegetable, or topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella and briefly baked for chicken parmesan, or put in Italian bread, with or without cheese, with tomato sauce, pesto or mayo, and enjoyed as a sandwich.
- Clean breasts of visible fat and tendons. Pound each with the flat side of a mallet until evenly 1/4 inch thick. (You may want to cut large cutlets in half).
- Mix breadcrumbs in flat bowl with cheese and parsley.
- Mix flour in another flat bowl with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Beat egg and water in another flat bowl.
- Dredge each piece in flour, then egg, then dip in egg and coat with breadcrumbs. Set on a piece of wax paper for 5 minutes to let breading adhere.
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add chicken cutlets and cook about 4 minute per side until nicely browned.