Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This always is well liked by friends & family. I make with a salad for lunch or dinner. Also makes a good appetizer. Found this recipe a few years back in the local newspaper.
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 large shallot
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 large red onion, cut into 4 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed basil leaves
- 1 lb ripe roma tomato, halved and seeded
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 18 slices baguette (1/2 in. thick)
- Finely chop garlic and shallot in processor. Add oil and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate; bring to room temperature before continuing.).
- Coarsely chop onion and basil in processor. Add tomatoes and chop coarsely, using quick turns. Transfer salsa to bowl and mix in cheese, lime juice, oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and chill; drain before serving.).
- Preheat broiler. Arrange bread slices on baking sheets: spread with garlic-shallot oil. Broil until brown or crisp. Place on serving platter and top with salsa.