Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 13 mins
Soak and rest times are not calculated into prep or cook times.
- 1 lb dry northern white beans
- 2 onions, diced
- 6 carrots, diced
- 1 -3 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bunch swiss chard
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tomatoes, diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 loaf Italian bread, 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cover beans with water and soak overnight.
- Drain, add fresh water to cover, and simmer until done.
- In a medium sized soup pot, saute onions and carrots in olive oil for 3 minutes.
- Add celery, chard and garlic and saute 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and beans and enough chicken stock to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer one hour.
- Stir in bread cubes, salt and pepper, parsley and cheese.
- Let rest on stovetop for 2 to 4 hours.
- Longer is better.
- Reheat prior to serving.
- Top each bowl with some shredded Parmesan cheese.