For this colourful, crunchy salad to be truly irresistible, use the best olive oil and some good quality bread. You can prepare the salad ingredients earlier in the day. Don't dress the vegetables, just pack them loosely in a large, clean ziplock or freezer bag and chill until needed. Drizzle the bread with olive oil, cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave at room temperature until you are ready to make up the salad for serving. If raw onions are too strong for you, soak chopped onions in boiling water for 1 minute, drain, and use as above.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 head romaine lettuce, separated and shredded
- 2 endive, sliced into rounds
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 vine tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Cut the bread into 1in cubes.
- 2Place in a shallow salad bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- 3Stir well to allow the bread to soak up the olive oil.
- 4In a small bowl, mix the remaining olive oil with the vinegar, and season to taste.
- 5Add the lettuce, endive, onion, carrots, tomatoes and celery to the salad bowl, then drizzle with the dressing and toss gently. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Bread Salad
Serving Size: 1 (564 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.9
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 187.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 7.1 g