Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
So tasty and low in salt. Try this as a topping to add a little crunch and flavor to a casserole or some veggies! this would also make a great gift! Adapted from Low Sodium Cooking.
- 1⁄2 cup bread (I like whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry buttermilk
- Crumble bread and bake in the oven for about 5 minutes, or till toasted dry.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- This can be doubled or tripled,etc. and kept indefinitely in the freezer.
- You may add about 1/2 teaspoons salt if you don't need to watch your sodium intake. Enjoy!
I made the DH a small batch of the good homemade mac & cheese for lunch and topped it generously with this, he loved it! After cooling the toast I whizzed everything in the food pro before he could see that it had chunks of "weird stuff" in it. I used 1/2 tsp of Splenda Brown Sugar so that I can use it when I want without any guilt (and besides he doesn't need so much either). It makes enough for several light amount uses or 1 (maybe 2, depending on size) casserole toppings. I'll bet chicken would be good baked in this. Thanks Sharon.