1/3 Photos of Italian Bread Appetizer
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 10 mins
I got this recipe from a coworker about 15 years ago. It was xeroxed from a magazine but I don't know what the magazine was. This makes a beautiful braided loaf, and the filling ingredients can be switched out with whatever suits your fancy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed according to package directions (white or wheat)
- 1/4 lb sliced genoa salami, cut into strips
- 1/4 lb sliced provolone cheese, cut into strips
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water
- poppy seed
- 1In a small saucepan cook oil and garlic together over medium-low heat, stirring almost constantly, 2 to 3 minutes, until garlic is golden and fragrant. Discard garlic and set aside saucepan of garlic-flavored oil.
- 2On lightly floured surface stretch and roll dough into 12" square; place on lightly greased baking sheet and brush with reserved garlic-flavored oil. Sprinkle evenly with salami and cheese. Arrange roasted peppers and green onions down center of dough, leaving a 1" border at each end and a 3" border on each side.
- 3Use a knife or scissors to make eight 3" cuts into dough along both sides of the filling. Bring dough strips up across filling at an angle, alternating sides to give a braided effect. Pinch dough at bottom and top to seal in filling.
- 4Brush braid with egg mixture; sprinkle evenly with poppy seeds. Set aside to rise in a warm, draft-free location 30 to 45 minutes, until puffy. (If you're using wheat bread, rising time may be longer.).
- 5Heat oven to 350°F Bake 35 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove bread from baking sheet and cool 5 minutes on wire rack. Cut into 16 slices and serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Bread Appetizer
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.1
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 366.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen bread dough