- 3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 -8 cups unbleached flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the sugar in the water, then sprinkle in the yeast, stir an wait 10 minutes.
- Add the salt and 4 cups of flour and beat for three minutes.
- Add in 2-3 more cups of flour, stir or knead.
- Add more flour until you have enough to make a good stiff dough.
- Knead until smooth and soft.
- Grease a good sized bowl and turn the bread over in it, lightly greasing all sides.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Rise until doubled in a warm place.
- Punch down and divide into three parts.
- Knead each, return to bowl, cover again and let rise.
- When doubled, pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Knead gently and shape the dough into three oblong shapes.
- Place on a large, lightly greased baking sheet which has been sprinkled with corn meal Cover with a cloth and let rise until doubled.
- Just before baking, score bread with a sharp knife very lightly down the middle then mist bread with water.
- Turn the bread and mist every 5 minutes.
- Bake 20 min or so or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.