Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Prep time doesn't include rising time. Recipe Source: TOH
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3 cups warm water (110 to 115 )
- 8 -10 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- melted butter
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, salt, egg, remaining water and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. With a sharp knife, make four shallow diagonal slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for about 37-42 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with melted butter.