Recipe by Wilmom
This is an easy-to-make bread that's so yeasty and satisfying!! It uses a minimum of ingredients, and goes well with Italian dishes of all kinds; also makes wonderful croutons!
Top Review by RecipeNut
This is an awesome bread recipe and so easy to make! So crusty on the outside and soft inside! I did find I needed to add more flour to get the consistency I wanted. Thanks Wilmom for a great delicious recipe.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn on oven light. Close oven door (this warm oven will proof your bread--do NOT turn on the oven!).
- Dissolve yeast in 1 Cup water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Dissolve salt in 2 Cups water.
- Place 5 Cups flour in large bowl.
- Add liquids. Mix well.
- Add enough remaining flour to make a workable dough.
- Knead on lightly floured board for 10 minutes or till dough is smooth and elastic.
- Add oil to large, clean bowl.
- Tip bowl to oil bottom and sides.
- Place dough in bowl, then flip it, so oiled side is on top.
- Place bowl in lighted oven.
- Close door and allow dough to proof till double--about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and place on lightly floured bread board.
- Punch down.
- Divide into 2 pieces.
- Roll into 2 oblong loaves.
- Grease a 10 x 15 (approx. size)cookie pan.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Return to lighted oven to rise till double, about 30-45 minutes.
- Make 1 long slash about 1" deep and almost the entire length of each loaf.
- Bake at 375 degrees 50-60 minutes, till loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from oven and butter tops generously, using 1 T. butter.
- Allow to cool on wire rack.
- These freeze well for up to 2 weeks.