In 'Williams-Sonoma One Pot of the Day'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- fresh ground black pepper
- 5 1/2-6 lbs beef short ribs, English cut
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1On a plate, stir together the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 2Turn the ribs in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- 3In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- 4Working in batches, sear the ribs, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- 5Add the pancetta to the pot and saute until mostly crisp, 4-5 minutes.
- 6Add the onions and saute until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- 7Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 8Add the carrots, tomato paste, and sugar and cook, stirring often, until well blended, about 1 minute.
- 9Add the wine, bring to a boil, and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the pan bottom.
- 10Stir in the tomatoes and their juices, broth, and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- 11Preheat the oven to 350°; return the ribs to the pot with the tomato mixture.
- 12Add the bay leaves, rosemary and thyme sprigs, and oregano.
- 13Cover and cook in the oven until the ribs are very tender, about 2 hours.
- 14Skim as much fat as possible from the cooking liquid and discard the bay leaves.
- 15Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Braised Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (490 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1353.8
- Calories from Fat 1080
- Total Fat 120.0 g
- Saturated Fat 50.1 g
- Cholesterol 237.0 mg
- Sodium 313.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 46.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: