Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
In 'Williams-Sonoma One Pot of the Day'
Make and share this Italian Braised Short Ribs recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- fresh ground black pepper
- 5 1⁄2-6 lbs beef short ribs, English cut
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- On a plate, stir together the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Turn the ribs in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Working in batches, sear the ribs, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Add the pancetta to the pot and saute until mostly crisp, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the onions and saute until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots, tomato paste, and sugar and cook, stirring often, until well blended, about 1 minute.
- Add the wine, bring to a boil, and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the pan bottom.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their juices, broth, and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Preheat the oven to 350°; return the ribs to the pot with the tomato mixture.
- Add the bay leaves, rosemary and thyme sprigs, and oregano.
- Cover and cook in the oven until the ribs are very tender, about 2 hours.
- Skim as much fat as possible from the cooking liquid and discard the bay leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.