Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
by Susan from Bellaonline.com. Prep time does not include chill time.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- confectioners' sugar, for decoration
- In one bowl, mix flour, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, blend egg, butter and vanilla.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the egg mixture, mix until a stiff dough forms.
- Add sherry a tablespoon at a time until the dough becomes smooth and pliable.
- Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Roll out chilled dough on a floured surface to 1/8 inch.
- Cut narrow strips and twist into loose knots.
- Fill deep fryer or heavy pot with 1-1/2 to 2 inches of oil.
- Heat to 375 degrees F.
- Fry cookies until they puff and turn golden brown (about 2 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels or brown bags.
- Dust with sugar while still warm.