Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Seasonings and the pepperocini's create a nice flavor with a little kick. For less kick, cut off stems and remove seeds from pepperocini's and use less of the vinegar. Makes a yummy sandwhich.
- 4 -5 lbs roast
- 2 medium onions
- 1 package au jus mix
- 1 package good seasons zesty italian seasoning
- 1 package French onion soup mix
- 1 can optional beer
- 1 (14 ounce) canonion flavored beef broth
- 1 jar pepperoncini pepper (8-16 oz. depending on how spicy you want)
- bread, du jour french loaves
- sliced provolone cheese
- Cut beef into fist size pieces and put into crockpot.
- Add au jus mix (dry), italian seasoning mix (dry), french onion soup mix, beer (optional) and onion flavored beef broth to crockpot.
- Stir until all seasonings are well incorporated.
- Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours.
- For very robust flavor, pour the entire jar of pepperocini's with the juice into the crockpot.
- Do not drain, the vinegar in the juice helps tenderize the beef and gives a good flavor.
- For a more mild or less tangy flavor, remove the seeds and stems from the peppers and use half of the vinegar. I PREFER THIS TASTE. It will still have lots of flavor, just not quite as spicy.
- Cover and continue to cook on high for 2-3 hours.
- Cut onions into small strips (slices) and add to crockpot.
- Cover and cook until meat begins to tenderize and fall apart (about 2 hours).
- Remove the beef and tear (shred) into small pieces.
- Return beef to crockpot and continue cooking until meat is done and onions are soft which is usually about 2-3 more hours.
- I've tried them all and this is my personal favorite because of the flavor and the bread doesn't get as soggy.
- Sliced provolone cheese is completes the sandwhich.
terrific recipe and will be making it often.
Pretty good. When I made it, I accidentally added a full 30oz beef broth. Next time I will pay more attention to what I am doing when I pour it in. I did not add beer, really think its pretty good without it. I added the pepperocini juices in at the start, not 3 hrs into cooking. I did the full 16oz pepperocini jar to the crock pot and saved the peppers for later. The peppers are not very good after cooking them in the crock pot either. Too oily. But the juices really make the meat tender. I also added some whole black pepper corns and some ground black pepper. I also threw in some red potatoes. Def will make this again, with a few changes of course.
Made it again at my husbands request, only cut down on the beef broth and added some New Castle Beer. Turned out phenomenal.
This beef is similiar to another one listed on zaar. The only difference was adding chopped onions and French onion soup. I omited the chopped onion for the French onion soup and left out the beer for the beef broth. This is way to much liquid for a crockpot. When crockpot cooking, you cut back on the liquid because it produces it own. I placed everything in the crockpot and cooked it for 10 hours on low because I was going to be gone all day. Adding the French onion soup was a nice touch. Thanks for posting a great recipe.