Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Seasonings and the pepperocini's create a nice flavor with a little kick. For less kick, cut off stems and remove seeds from pepperocini's and use less of the vinegar. Makes a yummy sandwhich.
- 4 -5 lbs roast
- 2 medium onions
- 1 package au jus mix
- 1 package good seasons zesty italian seasoning
- 1 package French onion soup mix
- 1 can optional beer
- 1 (14 ounce) canonion flavored beef broth
- 1 jar pepperoncini pepper (8-16 oz. depending on how spicy you want)
- bread, du jour french loaves
- sliced provolone cheese
- Cut beef into fist size pieces and put into crockpot.
- Add au jus mix (dry), italian seasoning mix (dry), french onion soup mix, beer (optional) and onion flavored beef broth to crockpot.
- Stir until all seasonings are well incorporated.
- Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours.
- For very robust flavor, pour the entire jar of pepperocini's with the juice into the crockpot.
- Do not drain, the vinegar in the juice helps tenderize the beef and gives a good flavor.
- For a more mild or less tangy flavor, remove the seeds and stems from the peppers and use half of the vinegar. I PREFER THIS TASTE. It will still have lots of flavor, just not quite as spicy.
- Cover and continue to cook on high for 2-3 hours.
- Cut onions into small strips (slices) and add to crockpot.
- Cover and cook until meat begins to tenderize and fall apart (about 2 hours).
- Remove the beef and tear (shred) into small pieces.
- Return beef to crockpot and continue cooking until meat is done and onions are soft which is usually about 2-3 more hours.
- I've tried them all and this is my personal favorite because of the flavor and the bread doesn't get as soggy.
- Sliced provolone cheese is completes the sandwhich.