Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Italian Beef Stew Cooking Light recipe from Food.com.
- 34.50 ml olive oil, divided
- 354.88 ml onions, chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, chopped
- 14.79 ml garlic, minced
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 907.18 g boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 3.69 ml salt, divided
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 236.59 ml dry red wine
- 887.21 ml plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (2 lb)
- 354.88 ml beef broth, fat-free and lower sodium
- 118.29 ml water
- 9.85 ml fresh oregano, chopped
- 9.85 ml fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 226.79 g cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 177.44 ml carrot, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 29.58 ml fresh basil, chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil to pan. Add onion and chopped carrot and saute for 8 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add garlic, sauting for 45 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from pan.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to pan.
- Place flour in a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour. Add half of the beef to the pan, brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and repeat with the other half of the beef. Remove.
- Add wine to pan and bring to boil-scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (approx. 5 min).
- Place the beef, onion, tomato, and and next 6 ingredients in the pan. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Uncover, add the sliced carrots and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt, basil and parsley-discard the bay leaf.