Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Make and share this Italian Beef Stew Cooking Light recipe from Food.com.
- 7 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 3⁄4 cups plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (2 lb)
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth, fat-free and lower sodium
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil to pan. Add onion and chopped carrot and saute for 8 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add garlic, sauting for 45 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from pan.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to pan.
- Place flour in a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour. Add half of the beef to the pan, brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and repeat with the other half of the beef. Remove.
- Add wine to pan and bring to boil-scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (approx. 5 min).
- Place the beef, onion, tomato, and and next 6 ingredients in the pan. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Uncover, add the sliced carrots and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt, basil and parsley-discard the bay leaf.