2 hrs 40 mins
Chef by Chance's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 3/4 cups plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (2 lb)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth, fat-free and lower sodium
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 3/4 cup carrot, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil to pan. Add onion and chopped carrot and saute for 8 minutes, stir occasionally.
- 2Add garlic, sauting for 45 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from pan.
- 3Add 1 tbsp oil to pan.
- 4Place flour in a shallow dish.
- 5Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour. Add half of the beef to the pan, brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and repeat with the other half of the beef. Remove.
- 6Add wine to pan and bring to boil-scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (approx. 5 min).
- 7Place the beef, onion, tomato, and and next 6 ingredients in the pan. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 8Uncover, add the sliced carrots and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally.
- 9Add 1/4 tsp salt, basil and parsley-discard the bay leaf.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Beef Stew Cooking Light
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.2
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 74.8 mg
- Sodium 500.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 27.0 g