Prep 50 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From "International Beef Stews", Good Food Magazine, November 1986. This is yummy when served over some polenta with a nice Bardolino.
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef shank or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onions (1 cup) or 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Soak mushrooms in 1-1/2 cups water in small bowl.
- Heat 2 T. oil in Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add pancetta and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly crisped, about 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl with slotted spoon.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Add 1 T. oil to Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Saute beef in batches in oil until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes each batch. Transfer to bowl with pancetta.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid. Rinse mushrooms thoroughly, then coarsely chop. Strain soaking liquid through fine sieve or doubled cheesecloth; there should be about 3/4 cup.
- Add remaining 1 T. oil to Dutch oven and heat over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add reserved mushroom liquid and the wine. Increase heat to medium-high and boil 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, rosemary, mushrooms, beef, and pancetta. Bake covered until beef is tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in parsley.