Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 48 mins
This is a "meat, onions, and tomato" version. I serve it over pasta.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup garlic-flavored red wine vinegar
- 2 cups lambrusco red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans italian tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups meat broth
- Saute the beef in the olive oil on med-high heat until lightly golden on all sides, about 5 minutes. Take meat out of pan and put aside. Reduce heat to medium.
- Saute onions in oil until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the meat back into the pan of onions. Season with salt and pepper. Add paprika, bay leaves, vinegar, and wine. Cook for about 7 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes and 1 cup of meat broth. Stir well and reduce heat to low. Partially cover the pan and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Add the other cup of meat broth as needed to keep the sauce from drying out.