Top Review by misfit
These sandwiches were great! I only wish I could get my roast beef sliced as thin as the restaurants'. I used a 3 lb. roast, but kept the seasoning amounts the same and added a package of Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix. Too spicy and salty for some, maybe, but not for me. I used 3 cups of water, which left me with plenty of juice. The cooking time of 40 minutes per pound worked perfectly for a nice rare roast. Served on crusty rolls, with about three slices of provolone cheese and a plateful of french fries, this is a definite winner.
- 1 (5 -7 lb) rump roast
- 2 -3 cups water
- 2 -3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- Italian bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast rump roast on rack in open roasting pan in 350 degrees oven, allowing about 40 minute s per pound.
- Roast will be rare. Cool and slice very thin.
- To drippings in pan, add water and 1 bouillon cube for each cup of water.
- Add marjoram, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and green pepper.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add thinly sliced beef and marinate in gravy in refrigerator overnight. When ready to serve, bring mixture to simmer on top of stove. Do not boil, only heat through.
- Serve on Italian bread.