3 hrs 10 mins
Sloppy and tender beef with a distinctive and addictive flavor. Best served on crusty rolls with Trappey's hot peppers with vinegar sprinkled over the meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1360.77-1814.36 g beef chuck roast
- 29.58 ml bacon grease or 29.58 ml olive oil
- 9.85 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml sea salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 473.18 ml water
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 56.69 g package dry onion soup mix
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml fennel seed
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 14.79 ml dried Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 crusty submarine rolls
- 1Begin pre-heating oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Sprinkle half the garlic, salt, and black pepper on all sides of the roast.
- 3Melt grease in heavy cast iron dutch oven over medium high heat.
- 4Quickly brown all sides of the roast.
- 5Place dutch oven into preheated oven, and roast for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven.
- 6Flip roast over in the dutch oven, reduce heat to 350, and roast another 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven.
- 7Drain grease, if any.
- 8Add water and all remaining seasonings to pan, flip roast over again, and return to oven. Roast another 30 minutes.
- 9Remove roast from oven one more time, and let cool on a platter for 20 minutes. Leave juices in dutch oven.
- 10Slice meat into thin slices, discarding any large chunks of fat you encounter.
- 11Return meat to dutch oven, and simmer, covered, on stove top for 1.5-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 12Remove meat with tongs and place on split buns. Sprinkle with pepper vinegar or hot peppers if desired.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Beef Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.6
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 120.7 mg
- Sodium 967.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 32.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning