Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Sloppy and tender beef with a distinctive and addictive flavor. Best served on crusty rolls with Trappey's hot peppers with vinegar sprinkled over the meat.
- 3 -4 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (2 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 crusty submarine rolls
- Begin pre-heating oven to 450 degrees F.
- Sprinkle half the garlic, salt, and black pepper on all sides of the roast.
- Melt grease in heavy cast iron dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Quickly brown all sides of the roast.
- Place dutch oven into preheated oven, and roast for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven.
- Flip roast over in the dutch oven, reduce heat to 350, and roast another 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven.
- Drain grease, if any.
- Add water and all remaining seasonings to pan, flip roast over again, and return to oven. Roast another 30 minutes.
- Remove roast from oven one more time, and let cool on a platter for 20 minutes. Leave juices in dutch oven.
- Slice meat into thin slices, discarding any large chunks of fat you encounter.
- Return meat to dutch oven, and simmer, covered, on stove top for 1.5-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove meat with tongs and place on split buns. Sprinkle with pepper vinegar or hot peppers if desired.