Prep 18 mins
Cook 7 mins
Tasty rissoles for lovers of Mediterranean ingredients - capsicum, garlic, olives, basil - which I have adapted from a recipe in the November 2005 issue of the 'Australian Good Taste' magazine. It was accompanied by a delicious low-fat recipe for potatoes: Crispy Garlic Lemon Potatoes. In adapting this recipe, I have suggested making 12 rissoles rather than the 8 in the original recipe. This immediately makes serving sizes more versatile. If you are watching your calories and fat intake, have just ONE rissole and more of the salsa. Posted for the post ZWT, Healthy for the Holidays Challenge! The fat content is probably still a bit on the high side, but remember the calorie and fat content is for the rissoles and the salsa! If you are not interested in making the salsa, make 8 rissoles (instead of 12) to serve 4.
ITALIAN BEEF RISSOLES
- 750 g beef mince
- 3⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 150 g chargrilled red capsicums, drained, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded basil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 red onion, halved, finely chopped (reserve the other half for the salsa)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium yellow capsicum, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons light olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh basil, extra
- 1⁄2 reserved onion, chopped
- 180 g baby spinach leaves
- ITALIAN BEEF RISSOLES: Combine the beef mince, breadcrumbs, capsicum, olives, basil, garlic, egg and half the onion in a large bowl, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into patties. Preheat the BBQ plate or a large non-stick pan over a medium heat, add the patties and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- TOMATO SALSA: Combine the tomato, capsicum, oil, extra basil and remaining (chopped) onion in a bowl, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- TO SERVE: Divide the baby spinach leaves between the serving plates, top with rissoles and salsa, and serve with Crispy Garlic Lemon Potatoes Recipe #145705 or your favourite potato dish.
This was great I made it last night and really enjoyed it, best rissoles I have made!! The flavours were so delicious.