Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Bakes like meatloaf, tastes like pizza! Delicious, easy, fast, and low-carb. Prep time does not include shredding or waiting for the zucchini to "sweat."
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced mushrooms (optional) or 2 tablespoons olives (optional)
- Mix the salt into the shredded zucchini. Let sit for 15 minutes then drain thoroughly.
- Mix the zucchini and olive oil into the beef, and then shape the beef into a flat circle in a greased 9" pie pan. (Leave a little room between the edge of the pan and the beef, so any extra fat can drain there).
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the beef, then top the mozzarella in layers with first the tomatos, then the mushrooms or olives if you are using them,then the herbs,then the parmesan. I sometimes use extra dried herbs and parmesan, because I like them (a lot!).
- Bake the dish in a 350 degree oven for appx 40 minutes, or till beef is cooked through and parmesan is slightly browned.
- Slice into wedges and serve.
This tasted like deep dish pizza, and didn't miss the dough at all! I made some changes; used 1/2 lb lean beef and approx. 1/2 lb Italian Turkey Sausage (3 of the 5 links in pkg). Also, used fresh mozzarella packed in water, fresh basil, and I drained all moisture from tomatoes. My DH loved this and devoured nearly the entire thing! Thanks janey king!!!