Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Boston's North End is famous for it's Italian markets, restaurants and saint's day weekend festivals and I miss it so much! I was thrilled to find "The North End Italian Cookbook" by Marguerite Buonopane.
- 453.59 g ground round
- 236.59 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 29.58 ml butter
- 0 onion, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 14.79 ml balsamic vinegar
- In a medium bowl, mix together beef, cheese, egg yolks, salt and pepper and form into 6 patties.
- Heat 2 tbls butter in a heavy skillet over medium high heat, brown patties on both sides, reduce heat to medium and cook until juices are pink.
- Remove patties and cover with foil.
- Add oil, 1 tbls butter and onion to the pan and cook over medium heat until onion is golden brown.
- Add cream and vinegar and cook on low 2 minutes.
- Pour sauce over patties and serve.
What a way to make ground beef taste gourmet! This is spectacular! I followed the directions as written, but served the pattie on a large piece of garlic toast with the sauce drizzled over. My DD was standing next to me while it cooked drooling, she could not wait for it to be done. The patties are fantastic, and the sauce is heavenly. This will be made often in our house. A definite MUST TRY recipe!
Lorac, this was wonderful. I just adore balsamic vinegar and in this recipe it beautifully counters the richness of the parmesan cheese, egg yolks, butter and cream. I doubled the sauce ingredients, added lightly sauteed sliced mushrooms, and served the dish over freshly cooked pasta, garnished with a little chopped parsley. A dish fit for a king!
This recipe got the ultimate compliment! The BF asked "What is this called?" When I told him and asked why he wanted to know, he said "because its pretty good" (that is major!!) At first I thought the 1 cup of cheese was tooooo much. Now that I am eating these, I understand why there is so much! The patties are very tasty and even kind of gooey with cheese. I was a little leery of balsamic vinegar and cream but it works very well! I used vadalia onions and they were perfect in this recipe!Thanks for expanding my horizons!