Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a recipe from Coup de Pouce and it's an express recipe.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup provolone cheese or 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a bowl, with a whisk, mix egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, water, italian seasoning and half salt and pepper. Add ground beef and stir with a fork. With wet hands, do 4 patties of 1/2 inch thickness.
- In an ovenproof skillet, heat oil at medium high heat. Add beef patties and cook about 6 minutes or until bottom is golden. With a spatula, flip the patties and keep cooking 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, parsley and remaining salt and pepper until homogeneous. With a spoon, spread this mixture on the patties. Add the shredded cheese on top.
- Cook under the preheated broil in oven 4 inches below the heat for about 4 minutes or until cheese begins to brown and beef is not pink inside.
These taste like juicy little meatloafs, with bruschetta topping. Tasty, but I thought the amount of Italian seasoning was a too much. It tasted overly "herby." I think maybe one teaspoon would have been more then enough. I really liked the topping, but there was more of it than could fit on top of the patties, so I just used the leftovers as garnish when they were plated.