Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is out of a Super Food Ideas magazine, which they sell at the supermarket here in Oz. I have modified the recipe to suit my family and it is quick and easy but tastes great.
- 500 g 95% lean ground beef
- 2 -3 cups macaroni noodles, cooked (originally 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 425 g diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika (I use a bit more than this, I just add more till it tastes right)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup tasty low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook macaroni according to directions. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Spray a frypan lightly with cooking oil spray and cook the onion and garlic until soft. Add mince beef and cook until well browned.
- Add the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, paprika, herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked macaroni to sauce and stir through. You can adjust the amount of pasta according to how you like it.
- Pour into greased casserole dish and top with grated cheese and bake in the oven for about 15 mins until the cheese is melted.
This is just excellent. I used stewed tomatoes because I was out of diced (how does that happen, do those cans just wander off somewhere or what?)and we all just loved it. This is my favorite type of recipe it is fast, cheap, and easy! I am adding it to my recipe rotation.
Great!! I used whole wheat rotini.