Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This one came from my best friend, whose husband is a gourmet with the crock pot. Great leftovers!
- 2 lbs fresh beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 12 slices crusty Italian bread or 12 slices French bread, each about 1 inch thick
- Trim excess fat from beef.
- Heat oil in 10 inch skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook beef in oil about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until both sides are brown.
- Place beef in 3 1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Mix remaining ingredients except bell peppers and bread; pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef to cutting board; cut into thin slices.
- Skim fat from beef juices in cooker if desired.
- Stir bell peppers into juices.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting 15 minutes.
- Return beef slices to cooker.
- Place 2 slices of bread on each plate.
- Spoon beef mixture over bread.
This is really good! Easy to prepare and even the neighbors knew we were having a great supper to look forward to! The younger members said it was the best 'Hot Beef' sandwich they had ever tasted! Will be making this again ... and again. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe.