Prep 8 hrs
Cook 0 mins
found this on another site....i love beef and barley of any kind so I thought I would try this one out, let me know what you think!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 29 ounces beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes (or add 1 TBS italian seasoning)
- Heat oil in large pan.
- Brown ground beef over medium high heat.
- Drain/rinse well.
- Place carrots and onion in slow cooker. Sprinkle with thyme, rosemary and pepper.
- Top with barley and meat.
- Pour broth and tomatoes with juice over meat.
- Cover; cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours.
Delicious and you can't believe how great the whole house smelled while this cooked! This comes together super easy. Instead of using dried herbs, however, I made a little bundle of fresh thyme and rosemary and sat that in the cooker. I also added a bit of salt. I also had 8 oz. of sliced white mushrooms, which I threw in as well. I did use the Italian-style tomatoes. I let this cook on low for 8 hours and it was delicious, but it was even better when reheated the next day. This is a satisfying and hearty soup that will not disappoint. I love the idea of using the ground beef instead of the typical cubed beef usually found in beef barley soups. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2012.