Recipe by Jo Coburn
found this on another site....i love beef and barley of any kind so I thought I would try this one out, let me know what you think!
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
Delicious and you can't believe how great the whole house smelled while this cooked! This comes together super easy. Instead of using dried herbs, however, I made a little bundle of fresh thyme and rosemary and sat that in the cooker. I also added a bit of salt. I also had 8 oz. of sliced white mushrooms, which I threw in as well. I did use the Italian-style tomatoes. I let this cook on low for 8 hours and it was delicious, but it was even better when reheated the next day. This is a satisfying and hearty soup that will not disappoint. I love the idea of using the ground beef instead of the typical cubed beef usually found in beef barley soups. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2012.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 29 ounces beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes (or add 1 TBS italian seasoning)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pan.
- Brown ground beef over medium high heat.
- Drain/rinse well.
- Place carrots and onion in slow cooker. Sprinkle with thyme, rosemary and pepper.
- Top with barley and meat.
- Pour broth and tomatoes with juice over meat.
- Cover; cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours.