Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My fiance introduced me to this recipe. His mom has been making it for years and is well known throughout his family. It is very easy and delicious!
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pepperoncini peppers (whole or sliced)
- 1 (2/3 ounce) packet Italian salad dressing mix (dry)
- 2 loaves italian sweet bread
- At medium high heat, brown all sides of the roast in a large pan.
- Pour all the contents in the jar of pepperoncini's onto the roast.
- Pour the Italian dressing seasoning mix into the liquid around the roast and stir to dissolve.
- Turn the heat down to low and let cook for 4-6 hours, until the meat falls apart when pulled apart with forks.
- Place the italian bread in the oven at 350 degrees until toasted. (about 4 minutes) Cut into desired size and slice in half, place the meat on the bread and enjoy!
Wonderful tasting roast! I usually make something similar to this in the crock pot. To be honest I have never fixed a roast in the oven or on the stove top (other then browning before throwing in the crock pot). Once my roast was nicely browned, I poured in the pepperoncini peppers along with their juice. I will caution others to be careful when you do this...the steam that comes rushing up can really burn your eyes because of the vinegar in the pickling juice. I do not use the packaged Italian dressing mix because it contains an ingredient that my daughter is allergic to, so I subbed a little over 1/4 cup of a pre made organic Italian salad dressing in its place. I did not realize that my children ate the loaf of bread I had purchased to go with the beef... so I served it along side a salad and rice. Made and reviewed for Spring PAC 2012.