Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
As a Chicagoan, I have had some great Italian beef sandwiches - but my family and I still prefer this recipe! My mother got it from an Italian friend of hers. It makes enough for a family party, or you can freeze half of it for a quick meal a few weeks later.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the roast in an oven safe roasting pan. Cut several slits in the top of the meat.
- Mix the onion, cheese, and spices together. Sprinkle the spice mixture into the slits in the meat, then pour the rest on top.
- Add water up to the top of the roast but not covering it.
- Roast uncovered at 350 degrees for one hour.
- Your can now add more water if you wish. Cover and continue roasting until tender, about 2 more hours, adding more water if needed.
- Slice, shave, or shred as desired and serve on french rolls.