Recipe by LuvToEat
This is my mom's recipe and one of my childhood (and adulthood) favorites! It's salty and definitely not for those watching their sodium intake, but my family thinks it's fragrant and delicious. Makes a lot so it's great for parties. Cook time doesn't reflect overnight refrigeration and note that I'm not sure of the size of the garlic salt but don't be afraid to use 1/2 cup or so.
- 4 lbs beef roast (or smaller)
- vegetable oil
- sweet basil
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (4 ounce) bottle garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put enough oil in a large pan to measure 1 inch.
- Brown roast on all sides in oil.
- Add enough water to cover meat.
- Add garlic salt, oregano, basil and boullion cubes. Use oregano and basil to your taste, probably start out with at least 2 teaspoons of each.
- Simmer 3 hours (or less, depending on size of roast).
- Take roast from gravy and let cool overnight, reserving gravy.
- Next day, slice beef as thinly as possible, return to gravy and heat through.
- Serve on Italian bread or rolls.