3 hrs 15 mins
This is my mom's recipe and one of my childhood (and adulthood) favorites! It's salty and definitely not for those watching their sodium intake, but my family thinks it's fragrant and delicious. Makes a lot so it's great for parties. Cook time doesn't reflect overnight refrigeration and note that I'm not sure of the size of the garlic salt but don't be afraid to use 1/2 cup or so.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put enough oil in a large pan to measure 1 inch.
- 2Brown roast on all sides in oil.
- 3Add enough water to cover meat.
- 4Add garlic salt, oregano, basil and boullion cubes. Use oregano and basil to your taste, probably start out with at least 2 teaspoons of each.
- 5Simmer 3 hours (or less, depending on size of roast).
- 6Take roast from gravy and let cool overnight, reserving gravy.
- 7Next day, slice beef as thinly as possible, return to gravy and heat through.
- 8Serve on Italian bread or rolls.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Beef
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.2
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 125.3 mg
- Sodium 290.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 33.5 g