2 hrs 30 mins
This hearty soup is made in the style of the Italian "pasta e fagioli"-a lusty main dish with beans, ham, sausage, veggetables, and pasta. For an Italian finishing touch, grind white pepper to taste and stir a spoonful of olive oil into each bowlful. Serve with cheese, if you wish. I found this on My Great recipes cards. I have not tried this recipe, but I'm posting it for a request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup great northern beans or 1 small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove (minced or pressed)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced pepperoni
- 1 lb smoked ham hock (about)
- 1 lb tomato
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Place beans in a bowl; add 2 cups of the water, let stand overnight (or, bring to boiling in a medium saucepan, boil briskly 2 minutes., remove from heat, let stand, covered, 1 hour).
- 2In a 5-6-quart kettle heat oil. Cook carrot, celery, and onion until onion is soft. Mix in garlic, parsley, and pepperoni. Add ham hock, tomatoes, (coarsely chopped, with liquid), basil, bay leaf, beans and liquid and remaining cups water.
- 3Bring to boiling. Cover, reduce heat. Simmer until beans are tender and ham separates from bone, about 2 hours. Remove ham hock; discard bones, fat, skin and bay leaf. Return ham in chunks. Skim, discard fat.
- 4Remove 1 cup of the beans. Press through food mill (or puree in blender with a little soup liquid). To soup add pasta shells. Bring to boiling. Cook, uncovered, stirring, until pasta is tender, 12-15 minutes.
- 5Season to taste with salt.
Browse Our Top Taste/Mood Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Taste/Mood Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Bean Soup With Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.3
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 19.6 mg
- Sodium 335.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock