Recipe by internetnut
This hearty soup is made in the style of the Italian "pasta e fagioli"-a lusty main dish with beans, ham, sausage, veggetables, and pasta. For an Italian finishing touch, grind white pepper to taste and stir a spoonful of olive oil into each bowlful. Serve with cheese, if you wish. I found this on My Great recipes cards. I have not tried this recipe, but I'm posting it for a request.
Top Review by cabernet lover
This was the best ham hock and beans soup I have ever had. I followed the recipe which I think is perfect., the parsley and parmagan cheese really makes this soup, using the last of my garden tomatoes probably helped too.. I didnt use the olive oil at the end, and I removed the fat layer on top the next day, and it was still real creamy. I brought the leftovers to work and the soup was a big hit!
- 1 cup great northern beans or 1 small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove (minced or pressed)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced pepperoni
- 1 lb smoked ham hock (about)
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup small shell pasta
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in a bowl; add 2 cups of the water, let stand overnight (or, bring to boiling in a medium saucepan, boil briskly 2 minutes., remove from heat, let stand, covered, 1 hour).
- In a 5-6-quart kettle heat oil. Cook carrot, celery, and onion until onion is soft. Mix in garlic, parsley, and pepperoni. Add ham hock, tomatoes, (coarsely chopped, with liquid), basil, bay leaf, beans and liquid and remaining cups water.
- Bring to boiling. Cover, reduce heat. Simmer until beans are tender and ham separates from bone, about 2 hours. Remove ham hock; discard bones, fat, skin and bay leaf. Return ham in chunks. Skim, discard fat.
- Remove 1 cup of the beans. Press through food mill (or puree in blender with a little soup liquid). To soup add pasta shells. Bring to boiling. Cook, uncovered, stirring, until pasta is tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt.