This hearty bean soup almost makes itself. Vary the bouillon to suite your taste using vegetable, chicken or beef. I've tried different bean combinations as well and this is one of many that works well. Great vegetarian soup when using vegetable broth! Add garlic bread and a salad and you've got a complete meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dry great northern bean
- 1 cup dry red beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon granules or 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen green beans
- 1Rinse beans and place in a large pot.
- 2Cover beans with 5 cups cold water.
- 3Bring water to a boil; reduce heat.
- 4Simmer for 2 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 7Drain and rinse the beans.
- 8Alternatively, soak the beans overnight in cold water in a covered pan, then drain and rinse.
- 9In a 4 quart crock pot combine beans, 4 cups fresh water, tomatoes with juices, onion, bouillon, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- 10Cook on low-heat setting for 11 to 13 hours or on high heat setting for 5 1/2 to 6 1/2.
- 11Thirty minutes before serving, thaw green beans and stir into soup.
- 12Cook soup for 30 minutes more on high-heat until frozen beans are cooked and tender.
- 13Serve with garlic bread and a salad for a complete meal.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Bean Soup for the Slow Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.5
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 176.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon granules