Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This hearty bean soup almost makes itself. Vary the bouillon to suite your taste using vegetable, chicken or beef. I've tried different bean combinations as well and this is one of many that works well. Great vegetarian soup when using vegetable broth! Add garlic bread and a salad and you've got a complete meal!
- 1 cup dry great northern bean
- 1 cup dry red beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon granules or 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen green beans
- Rinse beans and place in a large pot.
- Cover beans with 5 cups cold water.
- Bring water to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Alternatively, soak the beans overnight in cold water in a covered pan, then drain and rinse.
- In a 4 quart crock pot combine beans, 4 cups fresh water, tomatoes with juices, onion, bouillon, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Cook on low-heat setting for 11 to 13 hours or on high heat setting for 5 1/2 to 6 1/2.
- Thirty minutes before serving, thaw green beans and stir into soup.
- Cook soup for 30 minutes more on high-heat until frozen beans are cooked and tender.
- Serve with garlic bread and a salad for a complete meal.
Delicious; hubby and I both really enjoyed this.
Excellent stick to your ribs meal in one pot. Usually I rate a recipe a 4 star if I make chenges to the recipes but in this case the changes were all due to personal taste. The recipe looks great the way it is. The instructions are clear step by step. Because I love meat I added 1 1/2 lbs of double smoked farmers sausage, upped the garlic to 4 cloves and used fresh green beans (The garden produced so many this year). Used chicken soup granuals. Put it on at 6 AM on low, checked it at 11AM added a bit more water and adjusted seasoning at 5 PM turned to "Keep Warm" again added just a touch more water. Really delicious meal accompanied by a salad Thankyou rsarahl Keep these great recipes coming!
I love this recipe. I use canned green beans and some dried minced onions, I always have those ingredients on hand.