Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This hearty bean soup almost makes itself. Vary the bouillon to suite your taste using vegetable, chicken or beef. I've tried different bean combinations as well and this is one of many that works well. Great vegetarian soup when using vegetable broth! Add garlic bread and a salad and you've got a complete meal!
- 1 cup dry great northern bean
- 1 cup dry red beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon granules or 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen green beans
- Rinse beans and place in a large pot.
- Cover beans with 5 cups cold water.
- Bring water to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Alternatively, soak the beans overnight in cold water in a covered pan, then drain and rinse.
- In a 4 quart crock pot combine beans, 4 cups fresh water, tomatoes with juices, onion, bouillon, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Cook on low-heat setting for 11 to 13 hours or on high heat setting for 5 1/2 to 6 1/2.
- Thirty minutes before serving, thaw green beans and stir into soup.
- Cook soup for 30 minutes more on high-heat until frozen beans are cooked and tender.
- Serve with garlic bread and a salad for a complete meal.