Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is a hearty winter soup to take the chill from your bones. If you prefer to use canned beans, I suggest 2 cans of beans.
- 473.18 ml dry white beans, Northern or 473.18 ml navy beans
- 793.78 g can tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml beef bouillon granules
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 255.14 g package frozen green beans
- 14.79 ml margarine
- 0.59 ml garlic powder
- 29.58 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 0.59 ml dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 12 slice French bread, 1/2 inches thick, baguette-style
- Rinse dry beans.
- In a Dutch oven combine rinsed beans and 5 cups cold water.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
- In a slow cooker combine beans, 4 cups water, onion, tomatoes, bouillon, garlic, the 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on high or 5-6 hours until beans are tender.
- Thaw green beans and stir into soup.
- Cook about 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, stir together margarine,garlic powder, Parmesan, and 1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Spread on 1 side of each bread slice.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from oven broiler for.
- 45 to 60 seconds or until crisp and light brown.
- Watch carefully.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls.
- Float 2 pieces of herb toast atop each bowl of soup.
- Serve immediately with extra Parmesan.
- You can also add chopped ham, Italian sausage that you brown first, or leftover beef roast.
So much flavor and health in a bowl! I love this soup. My only change was to use dry garlic toast to save the fat from the butter and cheese, It's very hearty and ideal for a cold rainy and gray day. I used canned beans because I decided in late afternoon that this was on tonights menu. The tomato really brightens up the taste. Thanks Lori fro a recipe that I will use again.