Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from a River Cafe recipe I saw on TV. Good simple country soup with very distinctive flavours. Would be suitable for a starter at a dinner party where the dishes to follow are perhaps more complex in flavour. Would also be good in winter, sat around the fire with friends and lovers
- Soak beans in cold water overnight.
- Rinse well and cover with cold water, add a good size bunch of fresh basil and a whole bulb of garlic with the top sliced off, then cook until tender.
- NB: It is important that you let them boil fast for at least ten minutes for health reasons!
- Put a generous quantity of olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add two teasponns of finely chopped garlic.
- Soften without browning and then add two firmly packed cups of finely chopped fresh parsley (flat or curly is fine.) Toss round for a few moments, then slowly add the cooked beans.
- When they have all been added, mash with a slotted spoon so some texture still remains.
- It is meant to be quite thick.
- Serve with a drizzle of green olive-oil and some nice rough country bread.