Recipe by Aaliyah's&Aaron'sMum
A beautiful thick soup which I usually serve for lunch with a crisp salad and crusty bread. Added in after couple of reviewers have stated that the beans took a bit longer to cook for them, I have now mentioned in the instructions to cook longer, if necessary, till tender. Having said that, I have always cooked mine for an hour without any problem!
- 225 g dried navy beans, soaked over-night (dried white haricot beans)
- 110 g small macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 3⁄4 liters chicken stock or 1 3⁄4 liters vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 75 g grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and gently fry the onion with the crushed garlic for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and basil and stir in for another minute.
- Drain the beans and add them into the saucepan alongwith the stock and bring the soup up to simmering point and then cover and simmer gently for 1 hour or half hour more till the beans are cooked and tender.
- After the beans have been cooked, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and give it a good stir.
- Pour half the soup in a liquidiser and blend it.
- Return the pureed half back into the pan with the remaining soup and bring it to simmering point.
- Add in the macaroni and simmer for a further 12 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with lots of freshly grated parmesan cheese sprinkled over.