1/1 Photo of Italian Bean and Pasta Soup
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
A beautiful thick soup which I usually serve for lunch with a crisp salad and crusty bread. Added in after couple of reviewers have stated that the beans took a bit longer to cook for them, I have now mentioned in the instructions to cook longer, if necessary, till tender. Having said that, I have always cooked mine for an hour without any problem!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 225 g dried navy beans, soaked over-night (dried white haricot beans)
- 110 g small macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 3/4 liters chicken stock or 1 3/4 liters vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 75 g grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and gently fry the onion with the crushed garlic for about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the tomato puree and basil and stir in for another minute.
- 3Drain the beans and add them into the saucepan alongwith the stock and bring the soup up to simmering point and then cover and simmer gently for 1 hour or half hour more till the beans are cooked and tender.
- 4After the beans have been cooked, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and give it a good stir.
- 5Pour half the soup in a liquidiser and blend it.
- 6Return the pureed half back into the pan with the remaining soup and bring it to simmering point.
- 7Add in the macaroni and simmer for a further 12 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- 8Remove from heat and serve immediately with lots of freshly grated parmesan cheese sprinkled over.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Bean and Pasta Soup
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 614.6
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 29.8 mg
- Sodium 930.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.4 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 35.2 g