Rachael turns an inexpensive cut of meat into a delicious dinner. The whole family loves this! I serve it with salad and some orzo tossed with parmesan cheese, a little butter, and fresh-ground pepper.
- 2 tablespoons evoo extra virgin olive oil
- 4 beef cube steaks (about 2 pounds total)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 slice pancetta (optional) or 1 slice bacon, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Season the steaks with salt and pepper, and sear in the pan (working in batches if need be) until the steaks have a nice crust on the outside, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the cooked steaks from the skillet and reserve warm on a plate. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add the pancetta or bacon, if using. Cook until golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire and tomato sauce to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and bring up to a bubble. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the sauce until lightly thickened, 3-4 minutes.
- Serve the steaks with a hearty pour of the Italian BBQ sauce and a fresh green salad alongside.