Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in an Italian cookbook that my dad got a long time ago. It is delicious and looks like a lot of work, but is very easy to make! If you find the sauce too acidic or want it to be thicker, add some corn starch dissolved in water at towards the end and cook for a few minutes longer. If you have any leftovers, it tastes even better the next day. Preparation time does not include time to marinate.
- 4 chicken thighs (bone-in or boneless is okay)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 44.37 ml white vinegar
- 177.44 ml red wine
- 14.79 ml butter
- 4 shallots, sliced thinly
- 44.37 ml balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 29.58 ml fresh thyme (or dried, rehydrated in a little warm water)
- With a sharp knife, score the chicken through the skin (if skinless, just lightly score the outside). Rub with the garlic and place in a non-metal dish.
- Pour the wine, white vinegar and salt/pepper to taste over the chicken. Marinate several hours or overnight.
- Heat butter in a skillet. Add the shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Remove the chicken from the dish, reserving the marinade. Place in the pan and cook over medium heat until lightly browned on all sides. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the marinade.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, adding more marinade if necessary. When chicken is tender, add in the balsamic and thyme, then cook 5 minutes longer. (If the sauce is too acidic or watery for your taste, dissolve a tablespoon or so of corn starch in a little water and add to the pan. Cook for 5-10 more minutes until thickened slightly.).
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Serve hot with polenta, pasta or rice.
I had a hard time rating this..... I thought it was ok, one of my kids refused to eat it because it "smelled funny" and she's usually the one to try everything new....One kid ate it all-without the sauce on it (I pulled the breasts out to thicken the sauce, so I served it on the top if requested).... one kid tried and said "sorry, I just can't"... hubby didn't say much. I have 4 breasts left so I will probably chop them up and use them on salads I suppose.... but I will not be making this recipe again :(