1 hr 10 mins
Chef stevemib's Note:
This is a simple dish that will have you making it often. Next to my lasagna it is the most requested by my friends and family. Have lots of garlic bread ready. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add tomato sauce,rosemary,oregano,chili peppers,sugar and basil to a pot.
- 2Bring to boil and simmer one hour. Remove chili peppers.
- 3Cook pasta to al dente (little chewy). You don't want to overcook it as it cooks in the baking also.
- 4Remove sausage from casing and cook in 1/2 cup olive oil over medium high till browned.
- 5Add cooked sausage and all the oil (don't drain)to the tomato sauce and mix.
- 6Add cooked pasta into a 9x13 baking pan.
- 7Add the sausage and sauce over top and toss.
- 8Add parmesan on top and then cover with shredded mozzarella.
- 9Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes at 350°F (put toothpicks so cheese doesn't stick).
- 10Remover foil and continue to bake 10 minutes (watch cheese so it doesn't burn).
- 11Remove from oven and let set 10 minutes before serving to allow it to set.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Baked Ziti (Authentic)
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1247.2
- Calories from Fat 703
- Total Fat 78.1 g
- Saturated Fat 27.4 g
- Cholesterol 145.1 mg
- Sodium 2875.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 59.2 g