Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a simple dish that will have you making it often. Next to my lasagna it is the most requested by my friends and family. Have lots of garlic bread ready. Enjoy!
- Add tomato sauce,rosemary,oregano,chili peppers,sugar and basil to a pot.
- Bring to boil and simmer one hour. Remove chili peppers.
- Cook pasta to al dente (little chewy). You don't want to overcook it as it cooks in the baking also.
- Remove sausage from casing and cook in 1/2 cup olive oil over medium high till browned.
- Add cooked sausage and all the oil (don't drain)to the tomato sauce and mix.
- Add cooked pasta into a 9x13 baking pan.
- Add the sausage and sauce over top and toss.
- Add parmesan on top and then cover with shredded mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes at 350°F (put toothpicks so cheese doesn't stick).
- Remover foil and continue to bake 10 minutes (watch cheese so it doesn't burn).
- Remove from oven and let set 10 minutes before serving to allow it to set.
Chef stevemib, thanks for posting this recipe. Nothing says comfort food more than pasta that comes out of the oven. Smells great while it is cooking, looks great when it comes out, and, more importantly, tastes great. Followed the recipe exactly except drained the sausage and added some olive oil instead (meat fat/grease kinda heebs me out a bit). Fabulous recipe and thankfully a 13 X 9 pan allows for a bit of leftover and a late night warm-up. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Steve, for a great starter recipe. I would have given five stars, but when I omit or add ingredients, I feel that it negates the rating somewhat, but it still means I loved it! Now: I added garlic,of course, forgot to purchase the red chili peppers so used dried red peppers. Used just a sprinkling of Parmesan and cut the Mozzarella to 1 1/2 cup.
Wow Chef Steve! This was so simple to make and was great! I love Italiannis Ziti but yours is better. I used 3/4 cup olive oil as we love olive oil. I also left the parmesan out for my friends to add their own. I want to go to Italy now just to get more authentic recipes. Thank you for the post.