Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe on the Premio website, and it was a hit with my husband and best friend. A little to spicy for the kids, but you can always use mild sasuage.
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage or 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 large firm tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 dash salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Cut a slice from the top of each tomato.
- scoop out insides of tomatoes and mash with hands.
- In a skillet, heat butter and sauté onion, garlic and sausage meat until it is brown and crumbly.
- Stir in tomato pulp and simmer for ten minutes.
- Remove Sausage Mixture from pan, put into a big bowl.
- Add bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and cheese, mixing well.
- Add as much cheese as you would like.
- You may not need all the tomatoe pulp either.
- The final mixture should be kind of sticky, but easily formable.
- Place tomato shells in a shallow baking dish and fill with sausage mixture.
- Bake in for thirty minutes.
- I find that the left over sausage mixture can be put in between the tomatoes, just to bake.
- I also put grating cheese on top of the tomatoes before baking.
This is absolutly delish!. Used seasoned Panko bread crumbs and added diced green pepper with the onions. My hubby absolutely loved this dish and is hard to please. Also made stuffed green peppers with this stuffing recipe. I give this recipe five plus stars.
I loved this recipe, a bit fatty so make sure you drain the meat after cooking before you add the mashed tomatoes. I had twice baked potatoes with this, what a great taste together.