Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I strongly recommend converted rice for this, I have used regular long grain white rice for this recipe and the texture of the cooked rice was too soft.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked converted white rice (Uncle Ben's Original brand is best)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (19 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and cut up
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup grated romano cheese or 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (unwhipped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine ALL ingredients EXCEPT the cheddar, Romano OR Parmesan cheese and the whipping cream; mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Transfer to a prepared baking dish.
- Cover with foil, crimping the foil very tightly to edges of dish not to let any steam escape.
- Bake for 1 hour (stirring at the end of 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven and stir in the cheeses and the whipping cream.
- Return to oven; continue to bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Note: although I have never tryed it, I presume that half and half cream may be replaced for the whipping cream.