Recipe by Dissie
This is one of my moms version of baked penne. I have changed it some just to add a veggie after tasting one very similar at my local store. Now its a staple in the dish at my house. She also has started to add in some spinach.
- 1 lb penne rigate noodles
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 14 1⁄2 ounces italian style diced tomatoes
- 29 ounces crushed tomatoes (two 14.5 oz cans)
- 3 cups loosely packed fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (cubed)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare pasta as directed on package until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and return to the pan.
- While pasta is cooking, heat large skillet, add sausage, onion, and garlic. Saute' until sausage is cooked through. Drain off any grease. Add mushrooms and saute' 3 minutes. Add pepper, italian seasoning and tomatoes to pan. Simmer, stirring occassionally, about 8 minutes.
- Combine sausage mixture to pasta, spinach, mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Pour into 13x9 glass baking dish. Top casserole with remaining 2/3 cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.