Recipe by Chef Kiddle
Boy! There sure are alot of recipes on Zaar for mac and cheese! Well, here is another one for the collection. :)
- 2 teaspoons salt (heaping)
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 1 yellow onion (small and minced)
- 2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 2 cups milk
- black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese (sharp, grated)
- 1 cup asiago cheese (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add the salt and macaroni. Cook pasta al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons butter over low heat. Add onion and saute until soft. Add flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring the whole time. Add the milk. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble. Simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add nutmeg, cayenne, and 2 cups of the cheeses. Stir and add macaroni. Mix well.
- Pour the macaroni mixture into a baking dish about 8 by 8 inches in size and sprinkle with the remaining cheeses. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and dot with the remaining butter. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until top is browned.