I found this recipe in a cookbook I bought in Dallas last mo titled “Slow Cooker & Casserole 1-Dish Meals”. The subheader was “Recipes from Grandma’s Kitchen – Great for Potlucks & Family Gatherings”. I decided you could not ask for a better reccommendation than that, but this turned out to be the only recipe that was new for me. I am hoping I will be able to make & photograph it soon for you ... assuming I can find some good focaccia bread which I think is the real Italian heart of this recipe. I think you could make it even moreso by using an Italian seasoning blend + perhaps a good Italian cheese instead of cheddar. Some sort of mix of Mozzarella, Asiago or Parmesan comes to mind, but I would have to do some homework to make that choice. Until then, I have entered the recipe as written & I hope you enjoy this if you manage to try it b4 I am able to do so.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 12 ounces focaccia bread (sliced into 1/2 in thick pieces)
- 2 large tomatoes (cored & sliced)
- 8 eggs or 2 cups egg substitute
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (light cream or milk may also be used. You decide this.)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper (to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a lrg skillet, cook bacon over med-heat, drain on paper towels & set aside.
- 3Keeping a little bacon fat in the pan, add chicken, saute till cooked through & set aside.
- 4Cover the bottom of a 13x9 in baking dish w/focaccia slices. Cover bread w/tomato slices & then bacon. Cut chicken into thin slices & lay over the bacon. Top w/more focaccia.
- 5In a lrg bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt & pepper. Pour mixture over strata & sprinkle top w/cheese.
- 6Bake 35-45 min till cheese has melted & strata feels firm to the touch. Cut into 8 squares & serve hot.
- 7NOTE: Altho not mentioned, I assume this could be prepared the nite b4 intended to serve. I think it would make a great brunch or luncheon dish or work as well for a dinner meal when served w/an Italian salad of your choice. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Bacon, Tomato & Chicken Strata
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.7
- Calories from Fat 376
- Total Fat 41.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 350.6 mg
- Sodium 781.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 30.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: