Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Add a fresh finish to these appetizers by garnishing each serving with a thin slice of fresh plum tomato and shredded fresh basil.
- 1 (15 ounce) box pie crusts (use only 1 of the 2 in the box)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons regular olive oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded, diced
- 1 plum tomato, sliced, if desired
- 8 fresh basil leaves, if desired
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Remove pie crust from pouch; place flat on ungreased cookie sheet.
- With rolling pin, roll into 12-inch round.
- In medium bowl, mix bread crumbs, chopped basil, Romano cheese, salt, pepper, ricotta cheese and oil.
- Stir in diced tomatoes.
- Spoon and spread mixture over crust to within 3 inches of edge.
- Fold edge of crust 3 inches over filling; crimp crust slightly.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 15 minutes. Cut into wedges.
- Garnish with tomato slices and basil leaves. Serve warm or cool.